Adult Group Psychotherapy
Group therapy is a cornerstone of my work. It can be an important component in a client’s therapeutic journey. Working in conjunction with other leading therapists, I lead general psychotherapy groups for adults, as well as those specifically for gay men. Our sessions are dynamic, experiential and based on state-of-the-art group therapy theory, research and practices.
Limited to eight members, this group is made up of women and men who reflect the sophisticated, multi-racial and international community that is Washington, D.C. Members are single, married and divorced. During weekly, 90-minute meetings, participants grow to know one another well in this close, supportive and confidential experience.
Thursday evenings 5:10-6:45 p.m. Facilitators: Gordon Cohen, Psy.D. and Jennifer Pellegrini, Ph.D.
Gay Men’s Group Therapy
Working with gay men has been a passion of mine since I began my practice. As a result, Matthew Weissman, Ph.D., and I founded the Affirmative Psychotherapy Group in 1992 to serve this community. Together and separately, we offer several groups on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at varying times.
Group members continue individual psychotherapy but in a group context. This is an opportunity for gay men to speak with one another about their lives. They come to know one another over a long period of time and become deeply involved in each others lives. There is no outside contact between members, which allows the work to develop within a community of like-minded men in a supportive, safe and confidential setting.
- Tuesday afternoons: noon-1:15 p.m. Facilitator: Gordon Cohen, Psy.D.
- Tuesday evenings: 5:30-6:45 p.m.Facilitators: Gordon Cohen, Psy.D., and Sean LeSane, LICSW
- Wednesday mornings: 8:15 -9:30 a.m. Facilitators: Gordon Cohen, Psy.D., and Richard Elion, M.D.
- Wednesday evenings: 5:30-6:45 p.m. Facilitators: Gordon Cohen, Psy.D., and Matthew Weissman, Ph.D.
- Wednesday evenings: 7:00-8:15 p.m. Facilitators Gordon: Cohen, Psy.D., and Matthew Weissman, Ph.D.